Fremont Aggregate Urbanism

Sam McIntyre

During my first visit to Fremont to take some photographs, I was sure that it was considered a “theme park city,” I knew it held much of its urban vernacular within the events that it held on an annual basis, but after reading the “Introduction: Variations on a Theme Park,” in Variations on a Theme Park, by Michael Sorkin, I got a clearer understanding of what an ageographical city is. Even though Fremont does not fall under this category of a “theme park city” it is still a place that shows off its own style. This area shows off its trademark/iconic pieces that make it one of a kind, like the Center of the Universe sign and the Fremont graffiti sign. During my second trip to take some pictures and see how Fremont had changed, I was shocked at the amount of changes that I saw, but not surprised at what had not been touched. During this trip I was also fortunate to see new things that help give Fremont its own unique urban feel. Some of these things include more English ivy growing on the sides of buildings in their own unusual fashion, an old pair of shoes placed near a big rock that makes it look like the rock fell out of the sky and landed on a bystander, and its dinosaurs that are made out of ivy growing next to the Burke Gilman trail. Even though Fremont is not an ageographical city, these small hidden treasures give Fremont its one of a kind feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment